Old September 11th 06, 06:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

Default Malta plane crash, "aerobatic competition"

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/worl...ane-Crash.html

Anyone have any other details about this? What aerobatic competition was
this?

They had footage on the local news last night, and both planes were flying
just fine until the trailing one broke the leading one's tail off with its
wing. They were in very close formation, and the trailing one descended
onto the leading one.

The airplane that lost the tail went directly into the water, killing the
pilot. I don't know the nature of the competition, but just viewing the
video it sure looks like the surviving pilot caused the accident, and did so
in a very reckless manner. Even in the context of a competition, the
trailing pilot was formed up with the leading pilot in a very dangerous
position (even in the fatal '96 Reno accident I saw, the initial formation
itself wasn't that close).

Pete