Old January 21st 16, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default New Student Pilot certificates

On Thursday, January 21, 2016 at 5:02:40 PM UTC-5, N97MT wrote:
Yes, my experience has been that there IS a minimum age for application. I tried to help register my daughter in the IACRA online registration tool one day before her 14th birthday two years ago and it would no accept her application because she was one day shy of being 14 years old.

I had to register her early on the morning of the Big Day, then drive her to the DPE 30 miles away to get her paper Student Pilot certificate so that she could then solo that afternoon.

You do not need any license to start training. You do need a license to fly solo.

It would appear things are getting harder, not easier, especially for our young people. And according to this Federal Register wording FAA is still considering measures to make things even more difficult for all pilots in the future as photos and other new biometric measures are still on the table as far as they are concerned.

The one hand giveth, and the other hand taketh... and the giveth getteth shorter.

Interesting how the size and financial resources of the lobby matter. Imagine if a person wanting to get a license to own a gun had to go through this..
I have a 13 year old in my club that is literally counting the days till his birthday. He is basically taking us for rides until he gets old enough. Now he will count the days until he can just sit and wait.
Who knows what the wait will be with licensing all the model flyers and small UAV owners.
Sad.
UH