Old August 3rd 19, 02:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Wayland

Default Ventus C, 15m vs 17.6m

On Tuesday, July 23, 2019 at 7:16:21 PM UTC-4, Mike N. wrote:
Just curious, how is the performance of the Ventus C with 17.6m tips installed versus standard 15m with good winglets?

I have done some searching and seen some consensus that the 16.6m tips are typically not used much due to the performance degradation at high air speeds. But what about the 17.6 tips?

Expected conditions would be soaring in Florida.
I also fly Utah, but not thinking I'd need the extra L/D in Utah unless on a weak day.

Also are the 17.6 tips available? What would a set of 17.6 tips cost?

Thanks,
Mike

Hi Mike,

Where will you be flying in Florida?

Flying against Alfonso Eurado (E9) and Benny Flowers in their Ventus C sailplanes, you don't need 17-meter tips. It was an awesome machine at 15M! Benny was always playing with new winglets but Fonzie still had an advantage, (IMHO) with the stock wings.

Best Regards

Gary
ASW27b
(SQ)