Old May 8th 21, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Log Book - Yawn!

I've been using a spread sheet for over 10 years and it holds everything
that I want and nothing that some designer wants me to have. It does
not have a pretty colored cover and no pages for a so called "cheat
sheet" since I don't carry a log book with me.

Oh, and I'm not from part of the "sensible world".

Dan
5J

On 5/7/21 9:42 PM, Eric Greenwell wrote:
On 5/7/2021 7:45 PM, Jeff Bures wrote:
Hi all.Â* Over the years I've always been disappointed by my soaring
log books.Â* I have the standard SSA long/skinny with 10 flights per
page, and tiny little spaces to write details.Â* The print is so small
I can barely read most it.Â* Forget trying to read the notes and
signatures of my instructors.Â* Yuck.

I'm not a professional pilot, and I don't fly thousands of hours a
year.Â* A compact log book that holds 400 flights is totally unnecessary.

I love my SCUBA log book.Â* I can do planning, keep track of my
equipment,Â* weight choices, weather, dive buddies, locations and
interesting happenings.Â* Filling out my SCUBA log book was part of the
fun.Â* It's time our log books become part of the experience.

I'm not a professional pilot, and I don't fly thousands of hours a
year.Â* A compact log book that holds 400 flights is totally unnecessary.

I'm designing a new log book interior.Â* I plan to have different
attractive covers, and will have them available to everyone.
Currently the design is 6" x 9" (15cm x 23cm for the sensible world).
Right now, I'm using a very large font, so there is room to add
additional features.

Layout:
Page 1 - Contact and Emergency Information, home field or club info
Page 2 - Ratings and FAI awards
Pages 3 & 4 - Endorsements
Page 5 - Cheat sheet with speeds and notes for different models (club
pilots)
Page 6 - Notes
Pages 7 through 156 - 150 flight log

Questions:
Are there other pages I should add, such as quick reference guides,
popular frequencies, etc.?
Feedback on the flight log page? https://flic.kr/p/2kXipYk

Thanks!

I'd prefer an electronic one where the data can be easily entered
(including a flight log), displayed/printed in several "logbook style"
formats, and searched. The entries should be easy to do on a smart
phone, though I'd probably use a computer to display/print, search, etc.

I think there may be logbook programs that do this. Have looked for them?