Old October 12th 06, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Bob McKellar

Default A-1D

"Jim Carriere" wrote in message
. ..
Bob McKellar wrote:
"Bob McKellar" wrote in message
. ..
"Phil Rhodes" wrote in message
. ..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-1_Skyraider
I heard the story of Major B. F. Fisher on the Military Channel, and I
wish I could find a link that covers his Medal of Honor take off on a
short runway, under fire, with Major Meyers aboard. He tells his own
story, and it was a good one.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_F._Fisher
Yes, it must be quite an aircraft.

"M. B." wrote in message
Anybody know what the max trap of a Spad was? Don't know much about
this
bird but I walk past one every day. Seems like it would've been a
good
airplane.

-MB

Here's a picture of Fisher's plane in Dayton, including a link to the
Museum page.

(The AF Museum just redid their site and things are hard to find on it.)

Bob McKellar

Oops, dropped the link

http://www.coastcomp.com/av/pres/Chatfield/132649.htm

Does that aircraft have both a US Navy BuNo _and_ a US Air Force serial
number? The number 132649 is in about the right ballpark for an early
1950s vintage Navy A-1 (later example)

http://broadcast.illuminatedtech.com...p=109&sid=8085

Here is a partial listing from Joe Baugher's site:

132637/132728 Douglas AD-5 Skyraider
c/n 9494/9543. Redesignated A-1E in 1962.

132643 to South Vietnam AF
132647 to South Vietnam AF
132649 to USAF as 52-132649. Used in rescue of downed airman at Special
Forces camp
at A Shau, for which Maj Bernard G. Fisher was awarded the Medal of
Honor. This plane
is now on display at WPAFB Museum, Dayton, OH. The plane at Hill AFB,
UT is actually
a VNAF Skyraider made up to look like this aircraft.
132652 to South Vietnam AF

Joe is the undisputed guru of Bu.Nos and Serial Numbers.
http://home.att.net/~jbaugher/

BTW, Andreas Parsch is the designation guru
http://www.designation-systems.net/usmilav/

I myself am no guru, but I can follow a link!

Bob McKellar