Old July 14th 10, 10:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike[_36_]

Default Android App

On Jul 6, 6:40*pm, Liam wrote:
On Jul 6, 4:07*am, "Michael Huber" wrote:

"Liam" wrote

What we really need is an electronic yaw string. *Physical yaw strings
cause so much drag, and they sometimes come off during flight.

They donīt come off if you mount them properly, see this link for
instructions:http://groups.google.de/group/rec.av...16a6bf3984f0cc

Michael

That sounds like a viable option. *I wonder if anyone's tried simply
mounting the string on the inside of the canopy? *It could be located
in the stream of a defogging air vent outlet so it would still perform
it's function.

Do yaw strings really cause that much drag? I would never have
guessed.
I'm doing an intensive gliding course this summer so I should have
some time to test out some stuff then. I managed a whole couple of
circuits until finals by myself the other day, I was rather pleased
with myself xD
I have a HTC Dream (T-Mobile G1) and it has a full 6DoF IMU, I think
quite a few other devices do actually. I'm thinking something along
the lines of datalogging the positional data from the GPS and
allowing
you to import it into something like Google Earth when back on the
ground so you can view the flightpath and attitudes at any given
time.
Regards,
Mike.