Old June 3rd 15, 08:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

Default PowerFLARM antenna separation

On Tuesday, June 2, 2015 at 1:53:56 PM UTC-7, kirk.stant wrote:

But before I go stringing antenna coax aft to stick my Flarm B on my gear box, I just wanted to know why... ;^)

Kirk
66

Kirk,

I'd guess as the Flarm A side is a transceiver, it disconnects its receive circuit while its transmitter is sending. This is commonly done in transceivers to prevent the transmit power going into the receiver as that would overload things and shut down the AGC (automatic gain circuitry). If the Flarm A antenna was located too close to the "always on" Flarm B antenna (which is a separate receiver from the A side), it is possible that the transmission would overload the B receive circuitry, or at the least turn the AGC way down. There is typically a slight delay as receive AGC ramps back up, and this would result in degradation of B receive function.