Old September 8th 04, 03:47 AM
Bartscher

Default Flying in Hong Kong

I tried posting this earlier, but I don't think AOL cooperated:

I'll be in Hong Kong later in the month for business, and I've arranged to take
a flight in one of the Hong Kong Flying Club's Cessna 172s. I'm still in the
process of getting some info from the club contacts (who have been very helpful
so far), but I have some questions for anyone who has flown in this area:

1) I have a rough airspace chart I found online, that defines the various
airspace subdivisions. Can someone clarify where a normal VFR general aviation
flight will be able to go? I see that there are uncontrolled airspace regions
up to certain altitudes, and there are control zones nearer HKG International.
Are general aviation aircraft ever allowed in the control zones? There will of
course be an instructor in the plane, but I'd like to show up with some
understanding of the local airspace & regs.

2) What is the best way to get to Shek Kong airfield from Kowloon. It looks
like I may have to take the MTR and then a local bus. Is it worth taking a cab
from the MTR station?

3) What is it like in general to fly out of a People's Liberation Army
airfield? :-) I assume the procedures are going to be rather rigid to say the
least...

Any information from prior experiences would be appreciated...
Eric