Old August 25th 05, 03:45 AM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Ray wrote:
Good God! That price is aimed at the most ham-fisted inept students. I got
my private license in 44 hours.

I don't think it's a good idea to be giving people the impression that
the private can be easily done in 40 hours. A lot of people do finish
in 40 hours, but most people don't. An unrealistic expectation of
finishing in 40 hours can lead to frustration. I took about 80 hours to
finish and I wouldn't consider myself inept or ham-fisted (whatever
that's supposed to mean).

I don't know how long the private pilot program takes most people; I only know
what it took me. I was at a Cessna Flight Center and followed their flight
curriculum. Heh heh... it cost me less than $1100, too. Of course at the time
you could buy a very nice car for $6000 or so.

80 hours is a hell of a long time. If I had to guess, I'd say you dragged it
out over too long a period, calendar wise. I flew every other day until I was
finished. I figure that gave me time enough to digest what I was shown but not
so long that I would forget things. If you drag things out excessively, you
waste a tremendous amount of time recovering old material.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE