Old October 3rd 05, 02:16 AM
Mike Rapoport

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
In a previous article, "B. Jensen" said:
I have a question regarding flying over Canada VFR without landing in
Canada. For instance, if I takeoff from Saginaw, MI and fly VFR to
upstate NY, I would fly in Canadian airspace. If I don't land in
Canada, and since my flight originated in the US, what requirements, if
any, are there for doing this? Is a VFR flight plan required, do you
need a FCC radio license for your aircraft since you would be
transmitting in Canadian airspace, and are there any ATC fees to pay for
using Canadian airspace?

You need to be talking to some ATC while you're crossing the border. It's
easiest if you get flight following the whole way. NavCanada will send
the aircraft owner a bill for $15, but will cover the aircraft for the
whole quarter, if you decide to do it again.

Nobody is going to board your plane in mid-air to look for a radio
license.

The last question is, what would be the difference if I did this same
flight IFR?

Well, it makes it easier to be talking to somebody as you cross the
border. Otherwise, no change.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
When C++ is your hammer, everything looks like a thumb.

I have flown through Canadian airspace from the US to AK numerous times
(always IFR) and never recieved a bill for it. I flew from Europe to the
US, which involved three landings in Canada and I was billed byNav Canada
that time. I think that you are only billed if you land in Canada.

Mike
MU-2