Old January 27th 10, 04:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

Default reverse the last thing you did.

I understand completely, now - thank you, Bob!

-John

Bob Whelan wrote:
I was referring to my Zuni I's (S/N 3) gear downlock system.

For years I believed the primary downlock was 'an LS-like' gas strut in
the system, (probably) backed up by the over-centering action of the
wheel-support structure steel tubing. (It's a *strong* strut.)

Eventually, if I've understood George Applebay (the designer) correctly,
I was informed I had things backward in the sense the gas strut was
intended primarily to help raise the gear, though residual pressure in
up/down positions *does* assist in keeping the geometry unchanging.
There *is* a mechanical uplock, while the downlock was intended to be
the gear geometry in conjunction with braking action.

Because it does me good to believe my primary downlock is still the gas
strut, I treat the gear system as if it is.