Old November 17th 03, 04:08 AM
R. Hubbell

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 01:08:26 GMT
Kyler Laird wrote:

Not long ago, in rec.aviation.student,
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e....com&frame=off
I learned that the FAA is now selling scanned sectional chart DVDs.
http://www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xm...ctional_Raster

At over $300/year for each of the East and West sets, it sounded like
many potential users wouldn't get to touch them. That would be a shame.

I've wanted the data for a long time too, so I decided to get it and
make it available to everyone.
http://aviationtoolbox.org/raw_data/FAA_sectionals/

This isn't aimed at anyone in particular. How will people use these?
Maintain them in digital format and view on a laptop in the plane? Print
them as needed?

Has anyone printed a hard copy? How and where and how much?

R. Hubbell

I'm hoping to provide a bunch of tools to manipulate these (and other)
data sets, but that'll take awhile so I'm offering the raw data for
now. I'll probably move it around later, but I'll make sure it's easy
to find.

Note that the East and West data sets only take 2.7GB, so even with
the Alaska set, a single DVD has plenty of space for all of this (and
the ATA-100 data and an operating system...). Is anyone interested
in DVDs like that? I'm thinking that I'll donate these DVDs to Purdue.
The Computer Society there makes copies of various CDs as a fund raiser
and I'd try to get them to start making DVDs of these data sets if
people would pay enough to make it worthwhile.

I'll try to get some tools going soon. I'll also be configuring to
allow other people to write their own tools on my server and access
everything remotely through XML-RPC.

Enjoy!

--kyler