Old April 26th 05, 11:51 AM
Dylan Smith

In article , Matt Barrow wrote:
Personally, I'd rather have the shorter working week and the time off!

I'll take the 70 hour weeks and still have enough to take several nice
vacations each year.

So long as you can get the vacation time; at least when working in the
US for a major computer firm people worked the 70+ hour weeks and were
expected to not take their paltry two weeks of paid leave.

I'm sorry, but I work to live, not live to work. Although I *greatly*
enjoy what I do, after that experience, sorry - no more unpaid overtime
until I'm either running a business or in upper management if I so
choose to eventually follow that career. I can still do office work even
if I was to have an accident and end up in a wheel chair (or just get
old). But I don't want to be 80 years old and look back and say that I
wish I had gone out and done something that required youth and fitness,
but didn't to get some more unpaid overtime in at the office!

It cost me dearly (in lost income) to take months off when I finished
with the project I was working on in the US, but it was worth an order
of magnitude more than the lost income to fly my Cessna 140 across the
US from coast to coast. That trip was priceless.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net