Old September 10th 06, 06:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Noel

Default 74 Archer ignition switch question

This one has at the most 3400 hours of use if it is the original switch.
Chief sells the 'no push' version with a 'start' position for about $210. I
believe I'll take a stab at fixing it before buying a new one.
It is the lock that will not let go because it won't turn to the right at
all. The 'no push' version can be had with or without the 'start' position.
I hope that means the 'start' position is a spring loaded twist position
that engages the starter.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

http://photoshow.comcast.net/mikenoel

"Mike Spera" wrote in message
nk.net...
These switches are made by Bendix and usually cost around $275 and up.
When you say it "locks up", do you mean that you insert the key in the
slot and the switch will not turn from the "off" posisition? Can you
remove the key easily from the off position when it does this?

Here are a few things to try. First, remove the switch from the panel,
mark down the connections and remove the connections from the switch.
Next, take out the 3 screws holding the thing together. Inspect the
springs and contacts to see if any of them are broken, bent, deformed,
burned, etc. If so, try to clean and/or repair them (180 grit sandpaper
followed by a good cleaning with contact cleaner). Reassemble and see if
it still locks up. If not, the contracts were the problem. I believe
Wag-Aero has an "overhaul kit" that consists of new contacts and springs.
Wag also has new units (push to start and the other kind).

If it still locks up and the contacts/springs looked good and clean, it is
probably the lock itself. A locksmith should be able to disassemble it and
put in new pins or repair it for a lot less than a new complete unit will
cost. These are pretty simple locks. If you have 10,000 hours on the beast
you might consider replacement though.

Good Luck,
Mike

My ignition switch occasionally locks up (with the key inserted) in the
off position when I try to start the engine. .stuff snipped
The parts manual indicates 10-357210-1 for my serial number PA-28-180,
but that part has a push function in the start position (for priming?)
that my aircraft doesn't have. The other choice in the manual is
10-357200-1 that, from the description, sounds like my switch.

Has anyone similarly found that their PA-28-180 uses the non-push
ignition switch instead of the push type called out in the manual? I'm
guessing the 'push to prime' feature is for IO engines instead of O type
that is stock on Archers.