Old August 7th 03, 11:41 PM
Robert Moore

Andrew Koenig wrote

Unless you hold an instructor or ATP certificate, you can only
log PIC time for the period during which you are the sole
manipulator of the controls.

Robert Not true... if more than one pilot is required (pilot
and safety Robert pilot) either one may be the PIC and log PIC.

Hmmm... other posters differ from you on that.

In what respect do they differ? If it is my airplane and I am
the pilot flying with a hood on, I tell the safety pilot that I
am the PIC and I log PIC on two accounts. First I am the sole
manipulator of the controls and second because I AM the PIC. He
logs SIC. Second case, I am the pilot flying and I tell the
safety pilot that he is the PIC for the flight. I log PIC since
I am the sole manipulator of the controls AND he logs PIC because
he really is the PIC. See my original statement.

I think you're right -- you need separate endorsements for
each kind of high-performance airplane.

Robert Not true, an endorsement in a Cessna 210 is good for a
Bonanza.

That's because a Cessna 210 is both kinds at once, so if you're
endorsed for a 210, you effectively have both endorsements.

On the other hand, if you're endorsed for a Cessna 177RG, I
don't think that endorsement is valid for a 182.

You are confusing "High Performance" and "Complex". The C-182 is
both complex and high performance. The C-177RG is only complex.
A "complex" endorsement is good for all complex airplanes, a "high
performance" endorsement is good for all types of high performance
airplanes.

Bob Moore
ATP CFII