View Single Post
Old June 7th 20, 04:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason
external usenet poster

Default XCSkies and Skysight

On Saturday, 6 June 2020 21:17:57 UTC-6, wrote:
Up to this point, I've used XCSkies, but I keep hearing more and more about Skysight. I'm trying to determine if I should switch over for the 2020 soaring season. (For U.S. thermal soaring, no ridge/wave.) I've done a trial, but it was only seven days and I didn't really get enough experience with it to determine if I should make the switch.

They both have the HRRR model, but the only other option on Skysight is it's own model which I know nothing about. XCSkies have several models to chose from, of varying vertical/horizontal resolutions.

It also seems to me that Skysight updates the model less frequently the day prior and day of soaring compared to the RAP/HRRR models on XCSkies. That would negate a lot of the benefit of the HRRR model, wouldn't it?

If I'm wrong about any of these assumptions, please educate me. I'm still a neophyte when it comes to using weather products for soaring.

Can someone with knowledge on the models and these websites' methods for employing them describe which is more powerful in predicting actual soaring conditions?

What makes Skysight worth the cost, being twice as expensive as XCSkies?

Here is a great discussion and overall approach to weather darta gathering and forecasting

https://www.cloudbasemayhem.com/epis...r-forecasting/

Lisa Verzella is a long time champion and record holder HG and PG pilot. SHe now works for the NWS in SLC.

If you do not listen to the podcast Cloudbase Mayhem you should subscribe, great discussions, approaches to flying safely discussions, weather forecasting around the world, etc. DO not get turned off by the fact that it is PG focused, it covers many aspects of of soaring and hits topics any field of aviation needs to cover and understand.

Enjoy

Ron GLeason