Old April 23rd 07, 08:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

Default Carb Heat

On 22 Apr, 15:57, wrote:
On 22 Apr 2007 07:35:30 -0700, wrote:

On 21 Apr, 23:57,
wrote:
On 21 Apr 2007 04:04:00 -0700, wrote:

On 20 Apr, 23:22,
wrote:
On 19 Apr 2007 10:03:06 -0700, wrote:

I heard, somewhere, that if you apply full carb heat and then
immediately lower the collective (on R22s and 44s)this can cause the
engine to run rough and in extreme cases can even cause engine
failure.I s there any evidence for this or is it just a silly rumour?
I have, up until now, always pulled on full carb heat just before
descending now I wait a few seconds before lowering the collective.

You should always wait to give the heat time to melt any ice that
might be present. If you lower the collective immediately, you might
not have given the ice any time to melt which might lead to a stalled
engine.

Regards.

Jan

Thanks Jan, that makes sense. So what you are saying that the
carburettor is more prone to icing when using less power?

Not really - the engine is more prone to the effects of icing when
using less power. I haven't flown a piston aircraft in over 7 years
but it's no big deal having to look after carburetor heat. You know
when you've suffered a fair amount of icing if the engine runs rough
while it clears the ice as it sucks the water through the system.
However, it shouldn't get to this because you should be looking after
the intake temperature throughout the flight. Pulling full carb heat
before the descent is "to leave no chance" of ice being present. You
get into the habit of following procedure whatever you fly -
hopefully!

Jan- Hide quoted text -

I do pay a lot of attention to carb heat whilst flying. I keep the
needle out of the yellow, but is it the case that the more carb heat
you use the less efficient the engine runs? I always (well nearly
always) push in the carb heat at 300ft when on finals.

You are correct, the more heat the less efficient the engine because
of the mixture. But less efficient is better than no power any day of
the week! Remember, you usually only have an issue when you loose
translational lift - around 20 knots. If this happens after a flight,
depending on altitude you've used fuel in the flight (which you had to
take off with) so life can be easier because of less weight.- Hide quoted text -

Sorry, not sure what you meant in the last "missive". I do not
understand your last sentance.