Old August 27th 08, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Andrew Venor

Default Single Engine F35 For Carrier Use ?

"Juergen Nieveler" wrote in message
. ..
Tiger wrote:

Well a good number sucessfull planes have done well with singles. As
long as the powerplant is reliable of course.

What was the last single-engine carrier plane... the A-4?

Juergen Nieveler

Brazil still operates the A-4 off of their carrier Sao Paulo. The French
still fly the single engine Super Étandard off the Charles de Gaulle. And I
suppose you could also include the single engine Harrier/Matador's that are
in service with the USMC, the British Royal Navy, Spain, Thailand, Italy,
and India as well.

However for the big CV/CVN's of the US Navy I believe the last single engine
jets were the A-7. I remember the Kennedy had a Corsair II squadron during
Desert Storm in 1991.

ALV