Old June 12th 09, 07:53 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Graeme Hogan

Default Concorde Barrel Roll

"Sly Fox" wrote in message
u...

"Robert Moore" wrote in message
5.247...
"Canuck" wrote
Yes, I heard about the 707 being barrel rolled on a test flight
apparently with airline execs onboard. I wish there was more
information about the Concorde's barrel roll antics. That would have
been an amazing sight. I suppose if it was done gently rather than
snap rolled, most any aircraft could be rolled.

I post the following as a former Naval Aviator taught to perform precise
"barrel rolls" and as a retired PanAm pilot with 17 years of experience
flying the B-707.

Bob Moore

Unfortunately, the term "barrel roll" has become generic in useage, much
the same as "piper cub" is used to describe any unidentified small
airplane. I have later in this post included the Wikipedia definition of
"barrel roll" which is the same as that used by military and aerobatic
training organizations.

I have a video of Tex Johnston rolling the B-707 prototype and although
Tex himself calls it a "barrel roll", it does not meet the published
definition. To me, it looks like a sloppy "aileron roll". I doubt VERY
seriously that the Concorde was flown through a real "barrel roll"
despite the fact that the pilot, like Tex, called it a "barrel roll".

Thanks Robert - learn something new every day!

The Russians version of the Concorde did a barrel roll into the ground.