Old February 7th 18, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_3_]

Default SGP vs. Normal Racing

I'm signed up for Truckee and look forward to trying the format. (I also was strongly in favor of the late lamented last start time option so this would be easier in regular regionals.)

To clarify my previous comment, the FAI SGP was, if you read the documents, clearly designed to be interesting for spectators and media. The rewards for pilots are the glory of winning a high profile event, and wingtip to wingtip racing if you like that sort of thing, but you'll fly short tasks and won't get to explore much.

SGP lite events, such as Truckee, are quite different. Here the objective is to give pilots a bit more race feel without pushing the limits in many ways.

Regular races have this problem of sitting around at the start waiting for others to go first, missing a lot of the day, and the whole leeching and gaggling game. A grand-prix lite, or last start time, but combined with regular scoring not an inch is as good as a mile could make racing more fun.

John Cochrane