Old February 7th 18, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default SGP vs. Normal Racing

SGP is wonderful for the sport of soaring. It is exciting to watch and draws non-pilot spectators, in theory. We need more sport promotion and a the SGP series is a format that is exciting for spectators and pilots. If it is not your cup of tea fine, many don't want to drag race gliders, but this is an opportunity to get corporate sponsors, TV deals, fans... If SGP could get a bit more media coverage I believe it could really grow in audience which will ultimately help the numbers in our sport grow!

As for SGP vs "Normal racing" why debate? You can fly as safe a contest as you want, be it SGP or not.

On Wednesday, February 7, 2018 at 9:15:06 AM UTC-8, Justin Craig wrote:
At 16:36 07 February 2018, Dan Marotta wrote:
I think the statement, "it is quite sensible" means that it is more
likely, given the format of the race compared to traditional sailplane
contests, to have more frequent incidents.Â* In that interpretation I
would not call it an "absurd" statement.

But my question is why do people feel there is / will be more accidents in
an SGP?

As mentioned already, take the mountains out of the equation.

The SGP is limited to 20 gliders. In a normal comp a class could have 50 or
so gliders. So the start / gaggeling is not the an issue.

I do not know hat, if any accidents there have been at SGP races outside of
the mountains?

When the format of the race is discussed, is that because its a floatilla
start? Lets be specific if having a reasoned debate.

The discussion started as "hard deck" and has moved on the SGP. These
threads started as a reult oftheSGP in Chile.

It would be interesting to know what proportion of those in these two
threads have flown an SGP.

From what I can tell, pilots that have love them. If they dont, they don't
have to go back.

The SGP is proving to be a real success in many ways and I think it would
be sad if a few "arm chair" pilots run them down in a public forum, without
having even competed in one.