Old February 26th 19, 11:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cookie

Default Tow rope musings - informal survey

We consider 200' tow rope as "normal". I make 'em about 220' to start, figuring we can cut down the glider end as it gets worn.

In practice, about when the glider end is looking worn, so is the rest of the rope...so we just replace the entire rope with new.

Old rope is demoted to lessor duties, dogs and small children...

In the grand scheme of things, rope cost is insignificant

I've made a couple of x - country tows with a double rope (400')...pure luxury!

Cookie

On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 7:47:42 PM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:
What is the initial new length of the tow ropes that you use?

Assuming that you cut off the worn portion near the ring and gradually shorten the rope, when does the rope get too short to use? How often do you measure the rope?

Do you usually discard used ropes because of visible wear, reduced length, or a fixed number of tows?

What is the breaking strength of your tow rope when new?

Some gliders are heavier and some are lighter. Do you use weak links as recommended by the individual glider's POH?

Answering as an individual pilot you prefer a tow rope that is at the weak or strong end of the acceptable range?

Is it true that some people have used (and continue to use) 'unbreakable' tow ropes? How does that work out?