Old October 9th 10, 10:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

Default First Human Powered Ornithopter

"Alan Baker" wrote

You can think whatever you like, but if it can maintain airspeed and
altitude...

...that seems like flight to me.

Alan;

I gotta' ask; what dog do you have in this fight?

Why do you argue your point so strongly, to the point of putting down people
that have an opinion that differs from yours?

This seems to be very much a discussion of opinion on a subject

You opining one point of view holds no more weight than Lamb or someone else
spouting their opinion, to me. It isn't as if this is an open and shut
case. They did not make a flight with the basic definition of taking off,
maintaining flight, and returning to a place with the same elevation. Even
early definitions of powered flight with the Wright Brothers had some or all
of these basic definitions.

Yes, they seem to have flown by human power, but only with help to start
the flight.

The flapping shown is a type that I have never seen a bird use. All of the
birds have their wings hinged where they attach to their bodies and these
hinges allow the wing to pivot up and down to initiate flight, and they
usually have a joint out further on their wing that also hinges for
additional power and control... but this man powered creation has none of
those characteristics.

Seems to me that this whole thing was supposed to be imitating nature's
animals methods of flying. That, it does not do, in my opinion. Seems like
it is a way to "cheat" the imitation of flapping creature's flying
methodology.

Please note that this has been expressed as my opinion, and I did not put
anyone else "down" as I presented it, as all civil discussions should strive
to do.

Jim in NC