Old September 26th 16, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default automated flap setting

On Monday, November 11, 2013 at 1:36:33 PM UTC-7, John Cochrane wrote:
Didn't Will Scheumann do this in the 70s? I remember a soaring cover photo with a weird sort of mortocycle grip on the stick. As I remember, the basic idea was that the pilot pretty much flew by flaps, changing flap setting to induce changes in CL, with the tail functioning as trimmer.

Now if the windward guys really want to get fancy... you can in principle extract a lot of energy from the air by dynamic soaring the small bits of positive and negative g we run in to all the time. Humans are too slow, and we don't have the feedback we need, which is knowing when the lift vector has a component in the direction of motion to pull, and a component in the opposite direction when you push. This could be automated, lots of little fast pitch motions. Purists laugh, but if you get 60:1 glides out of 15 meter with high speed automated pitch motions, they'll laugh all the way to the back of the scoresheet. Or, I guess, to the annual rules poll to get it banned...

John Cochrane

Perhaps you are thinking of the Flap Integrator handle I have on JG. (AS-W12 SN 002) I believe it was originally installed by George Worthington. That was the idea, to fly cruise using the Flap handle. Based on Airspeed and sink rate.