Old June 9th 13, 08:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

Default Of tow hooks and wheel brakes

Yep, CG hooks are for winch launch - nose hooks for aero tow. Bad things happen the other way around. You'll probably want to do winch launches eventually so keep the CG hook, just add a nose hook.

Drum brakes can work like disks if you let Vintage Brake do their magic. http://www.vintagebrake.com/

On Sunday, June 9, 2013 11:53:28 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Of tow hooks and brakes

The Region 9 contest is done and of course today is the most wind free day since the contest started. To say the contest weather was breezy is putting it mildly.

The wind put a severe strain on gliders and pilot skill. The pilot skill was there but I think in several cases the pilots had the deck stacked against them right from the start by their gliders.

Why anyone is still using only a center of gravity tow hook is beyond my understanding. The same goes for original weak Tost wheel brakes.

Alternatives are available for almost every model glider now. Even the original Tost brake now has a hydraulic actuator available. I believe there are forward tow hook installations, factory approved, for every model glider that was here.

Expensive? What was the cost of attending the contest? What is the cost of repairing your glider not to mention the loss of use while it is being repaired? What about the emotional cost as you veer off the runway and hope the resulting ground loop does not break your tail boom?

We all talk a lot about safety, safety is not cheap. Soaring is not cheap, who said it was supposed to be? Lets put our money where our mouth is. Make you glider safer.

Will the insurance companies wake up one day and realize there are more launch accidents and claims with C.G. hook equipped gliders?

I may be hurting my bottom line as I do operate a glider repair shop at Moriarty, but I am sick of seeing needless damage done to gliders.

Robert Mudd

Composite Aircraft Repair LLC