Old December 30th 03, 02:28 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

"S Narayan" wrote in message
| This would be the typical answer from a GA pilot. For the vast majority

of
| non-pilots (which is reality), they have NOTHING to lose by shutting

down
| GA.

It would be more accurate to say that the general public does not know

what
they would lose by shutting down GA.

If they shut down GA, most of the general public would have no idea why

they
have no jobs, why they can't get their mail, why their doctor or lawyer or
CPA can no longer serve them, why their forests are burning down, why

their
seafood suddenly has become more valuable than gold in the few places it

is
still available, why children are suddenly dying of cancer, etc. The

public
would just blame it on bad handling of "the economy," whatever that is.

"However, we cannot opt out of economic issues. Every citizen and every
official they elect has an affect on the economy. Our only options are to be
informed or uninformed when making our choices in the economy or in the
voting booth.
Unfortunately, those who are uninformed -- or, worse yet misinformed -- when
it comes to economics include the intelligentsia, even when they have Ph.D.s
in other fields.

"Economics as a profession has some responsibility for this widespread lack
of understanding. Highly sophisticated economic analysis can be found in
courses on campuses where a majority of the students have no real
understanding of something as elementary as supply and demand.

"Even students taking introductory economics as their one and only course in
the subject may get little that they can take with them out into the world
as citizens and voters. Introductory economics is too often taught as if the
students in it were all potential economists who had to be introduced to the
standard graphs, equations and jargon that they will need in higher level
courses or in the profession." -- Thomas Sowell, _Thoughts on the 'Dismal'
Science_, December 26, 2003