Old July 13th 04, 10:38 PM
Casey Wilson

"Jim Weir" wrote in message

Yes, as a writer I agree. But to make as many errors of fact as were made

in
this article, the writer must shoulder some responsibility. Just as an

example,
look at the picture on page 108, and remember that this is an article

about the
proper INSTALLATION of an ELT. See the pretty antenna coax draped across

the
sharp edge of the aluminum former? With no cable ties anywhere? Ain't

THAT a
proper way to show installation.

-but 'fact checking,' name spelling, placement of decimal
-points (like the one you blooped in your message above.

And the failure to close (parentheses)? {;-)

Got me!

-Jim, but I don't think you will make much headway. I'll bet the magazine
-just won't increase the staffing to include a technical review board.

Most of us would gladly volunteer to keep crap like this from making its

way
into print.

Give it try, all you've got to lose is your time. I'm presuming you're
going to make that suggestion in the letter you write.

When I was digging for information about the Sport license, I emailed a
query to an EAA 'expert.' Shortly after, one of the editors sent me a box of
magazines, samples from all the different publications. It came with a nice
note saying they'd like the first look at whatever I wrote. What surprised
me was the number of different titles they put out. At the time I think
there were seven or so.

I'm not a homebuilder nor a member of EAA and can't find much in any of
their pubs to relate to -- so I've never subscribed.

If I ever get nearby your neck of the woods, I'll call first and see if
we can get together for lunch.

Good luck,

Casey