Old October 12th 07, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Terence Wilson

Default Hold direct entry and speed in Skyhawk

Hello,

A couple of quick questions/calrifications:

1) When executing a direct entry to a hold e.g. for the KAPC LOC Rwy
36L missed:

"...climb 3000' direct SGD VOR & hold"

I have been flying directly to the VOR then, upon watching the to/from
flag flip, I turn to the inbound course (167 deg) momentarily before
executing a standard rate turn to the outbound course of 347 deg.

Is this the correct technique for entering a direct hold or should I
be intercepting the inbound radial? It seems this would result in a
better pattern because of tendency to overshoot when flying direct
and immediately turning.

2) What would be an appropriate holding speed in a 172? I have been
using 80kts, which requires about 1700-1800rpm at 3000'.

Thanks.