Old January 4th 05, 07:25 AM
Peter Stickney

In article ,
Mike Beede writes:
In article .com, MuseumTech wrote:

Were the
flaws merely due to the low performance of the Westinghouse engine?

I've just been reading John Moore's book _The Wrong Stuff_. He did some
carrier-qualification trials on the F7U and seemed to be of the opinion that
it wasn't just the engines. I recall something about an uncontrollable spin
departure that was unfortunate. Anyway, it's worth reading for his take
on the Flexdeck program--he claims to have made more wheels-up landings
in jet aircraft than anyone else.

Well, there was the fuel system that fed both afterburners from a
single sump tank, which wasn't all that big. The transfer pumps for
the other tanks couldn't refill the sump tnk as fast as the ABs could
suck it out - leaving with a pretty good chance of losing the airplane
to fuel exhaustion woth 3/4 of a ful load still aboard.

Or the slow changover mode in the powered flight controls - there was
a mechanical backup, with some manner of mechanical advantage system.
All very good, but the changover when losing the powered controls took
'bout 10 seconds. And, of course, the things always failed when you
were going straight up or straight down.

--
Pete Stickney

Without data, all you have are opinions