Old January 13th 05, 03:52 AM
C. J. Clegg

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 19:01:30 GMT, Gord Beaman
wrote:

Of course...and the term is no longer 'cellular' anyway it seems,
they now seem to prefer 'Mobile phones' so I guess it's a moot
point, but ISTM that the aircraft cel system is a helluva lot
closer to the terrestrial cel system than anything else.

The term "cellular" has a specific meaning within the FCC rules.
There is a section of the rules (I forget which one) that regulates
the "cellular service", and another section of the rules that
regulates PCS phones (the "personal communications service"). The
former is not allowed to be used in the air whereas the latter is.

A few years ago there was a company that was experimenting with ways
to use the "cellular service" from the air without bringing up too
many cells, etc. They were working with a special waiver from the
FCC. I don't know what all ever became of their work.

CJ