Old July 10th 06, 12:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Spera

Default C-172 versus Sundowner

wrote:

So I've been looking to buy a C-172 and came across this Sundowner.

Comments?

Flew with locals who own both and watched their trials and tribulations
with each type. The Sundowner is quite well built and had great interior
room. It also has a low glareshield that affords a wonderful view out
the front window. Both planes are pretty docile to fly.

My observation is that you may find it difficult to locate a well
maintained Sundowner with good cosmetics. Not sure why but almost every
one I have seen is quite beat up.

Most parts that you will need during normal service are consumables
and/or are from Lycoming. Yes, Beech parts are even more outrageous than
the other makes. That drives you to the boneyards.

That is where the Skyhawk shines. With so many of them, there are plenty
of wrecks and used parts are usually not hard to locate. The Sundowner
fleet was much smaller and you may have to do more searching for
airframe parts.

The Sundowner doors and vents seal well, some Skyhawks can have problems.

That is my limited observation set. Others with more experience can
chime in, but I always hold suspect an opinion from someone who owns
one. Few will admit their bird has any deficiencies.

Good Luck,
Mike