Old March 13th 08, 08:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
terry

Default Turn to Final - Keeping Ball Centered

On Mar 13, 12:30*pm, Dudley Henriques wrote:
terry wrote:
On Mar 13, 9:35 am, "Vaughn Simon"
wrote:
"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message

. ..

Exactly. The difference between a loaded turn and simply allowing the nose to
fall through with reduced back pressure.
* *Reducing back pressure is something an inexperienced pilot is instinctively
loath to do when manuvering close to the ground, much more likely to be pulling.

on the contrary I have a habit of deliberately pushing forward on the
yoke as I turn onto final, it comes from a fear of stalling and the
fact
that being at this stage of the landing procedure I want my attention
focused outside the cockpit to ensure I line up out of the turn on the
runway centerline, and not worrying about my airspeed.
Terry

You had good instruction Terry. I'd only add for you to monitor your
airspeed as well. In other words, never omit an available cue.

Its not something I was actually trained to do, just something I
developed myself to be sure I dont lose any speed. Although I do
remember in my training losing airspeed in the turns practising
power off landings while concentrating too much on finding a field.
Having carefully trimmed the C150 to 65 kt glide speed I was maybe
dropping to 55 kts in the turns. I can still remember the instructors
warning to "watch the f......k airspeed in the turn or it will bite
you one day" Rather than watching the airspeed more carefully, I
just developed the habit of dipping the nose a bit to make sure of
it. I think its just an overload thing. While I do normally keep a
close watch on my airspeed, when I am turning I think I focus too much
on the attitude indicator instead of the ASI, as well as focusing
outside of course. I guess I am one of those people who have trouble
walking and chewing gum at the same time!
Terry