View Single Post
Old April 22nd 19, 01:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm
external usenet poster

Default Best California Soaring Schools

On Sunday, April 21, 2019 at 4:32:21 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Hi,

Looking for a nice site to take soaring add on training in Ca.
Best area would be a little south close to SFO or LAX but not mandatory.
Have found these options so far,
Soaring Academy, Williams, Skylark.

Any suggestions?

Brgds,

Manuel Ortiz
ATP

I'd vote for Williams, but I'm biased. Many of the places in CA are very good. Discuss with any place you go what you really want to do and get out if it. Just getting an add-on is not very much. Won't make you much of a glider pilot, and may not let you rent a glider or fly anywhere in it even if you can... again discuss what you want to do. If at Williams I'd look at options of staying over in the studio or bunkhouse and get stuff done over a few days. And maybe making use of spring soaring of trying out some cross country soaring instruction if that interests you. And you may get to fly with high-time ATP/USAF/airline pilot (Hi Marty) which might interest you in a transition - or all the other instructors also fly power as well. Also it's a damn aviation museum. Just go drool at the toys.

I'd recommend looking at Russel Holtz's GliderBooks, check with whatever school you plan to use if they use them, and what they recommend for transition pilots, but petty sure Williams uses those texts. https://www.gliderbooks.com/