Old August 4th 03, 07:52 PM
Bill Daniels

"Chris W" wrote in message
I got such a good answer on my question about flap design I thought I
would ask another design question. why would a plane that has two
engines have two vertical stabilizers. No in the case of the Aircoupe I
always thought the reason for the twin tail was so that the helical prop
wash wouldn't induce a yaw tendency from the prop wash hitting the
vertical stabilizer/rudder. It is my understanding that the Aircoupe
was designed so you wouldn't need rudder pedals, and the twin tail I
think would have helped that. But on a twin engine, what's the point?
having two vertical stabilizers and two rudders seems significantly more
complicated both structurally and mechanically so why do it if there
isn't some advantage? There must be one I don't know about.

--
Chris Woodhouse

There used to be an argument that, in the event of an engine failure, a
twin-tail twin would have one fin and rudder directly behind the operating
engine, in the prop wash, where it would be more effective.

The more likely reason that the '30s and '40's saw a number of twin and
triple tail aircraft had to do with the low vertical clearance of hangar
doors. A multi-vertical tail aircraft would more likely be able to pass
through the low door opening where a single tail would have to be much
higher and have to be left outside.

Bill Daniels