Old March 18th 09, 06:06 AM posted to sci.astro,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting
Bluuuue Rajah

Default Russia to approve new Moon rocket

wrote in
:

On Mar 16, 7:19*pm, Bluuuue Rajah Bluuuuue@Rajah. wrote:
Russia to approve new Moon rocket *

"In the field of heavy-lifting rockets we have… the yet-to-be-flown
Angara (rocket), while the requirements for the next-generation
rocket are within the same category," Mr Chulkov said.

The Angara rocket, which has been under development since the
mid-1990s, is expected to make its maiden flight in 2011.

It would be capable of carrying as many as 35 tonnes into low-Earth
orbit. But some of its derivatives could lift between 40 and 50
tonnes.

According to documents from the Khrunichev enterprise, developer of
the Angara rocket, up to four launches of the Angara-7 vehicle would
be required to accomplish a single lunar expedition. By comparison,
Nasa can rely on one Ares-I rocket and one Ares-V for each Moon
landing.

Any possibility that they could revive the Energia? As I recall, that
was comparable in lift to the Ares V.

They didn't get very much use out of that did they? Apparently it was
built to carry a shuttle lookalike that had no engines. I'm not aware
that thing ever flew.