Old March 28th 09, 06:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
Matt Wiser[_2_]

Default Loose Bolts Ground V-22 Ospreys; Four Aircraft in Iraq Will Need Fixes

As far as squadron service, it is a new aircraft. And yes, glitches do come
up after a type's service introduction, either immediately, or years later.
"Vincent Brannigan" wrote in message
Bill Kambic wrote:
On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 16:15:04 GMT, Vincent Brannigan
wrote:

"new" ? any idea how long this sucker has been teething?

First flight was 19 March 1989

20 years ago !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A good friend of mine ditched an S-2E off Rhode Island in 1973 after
an elctrical system glitch was found. That system that failed had
been in Fleet Service in the S-2D, E, and G series.

We were still learning about the P-3 in late '70s and early '80s, more
than 20 years after fleet introduction.

I suspect every aircraft ever put into service surprises the users
from time to time.

very true but a different issue.

No, I don't think so.

The claim was "This is the type of stuff that happens with any new
aircraft." which implies that it involves "teething troubles" i.e.
operational problems which are fixed without redesign

In the two instances I'm aware of (one in the S-2 and one in the P-3)
the problem was fixed with a note in NATOPS, not a redesign.

I don't know if "loose bolts" can be fixed with a change in a
maintenance manual ("inspect and tighten as required") or a change of
bolt design or a change of design in what the bolts hold together.

In any event this sort of stuff happens in every aircraft since the
Wright Flyer.

What you are missing is my response was simply to the claim that this
was " the type of stuff that happens with any new
aircraft."

It's not a "new aircraft"

Vince