Old March 28th 09, 06:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
Matt Wiser[_2_]

Default Loose Bolts Ground V-22 Ospreys; Four Aircraft in Iraq Will Need Fixes

You're still not saying which helo you'd rather have the USMC buy in place
of the Osprey. Name a helo that could do the job as the H-46s head off to
the parking lot in the desert.
"Vincent Brannigan" wrote in message
news
Matt Wiser wrote:
On Mar 26, 8:11 am, Vincent Brannigan wrote:
Curt wrote:
"Vincent Brannigan" wrote in message
vaughn wrote:
"Jack Linthicum" wrote in message

Compromising control of the rotor sounds like a fatal crash to
me. I have seen military blogs that say that all of the
production must be finished and accepted before the first major
accident can occur. Wishing or making sure?
This is the type of stuff that happens with any new aircraft. We
"learn by doing". With something as complex and as "different"
as the Osprey, we will probably see a significant list of these
issues. And yes, some of them will probably cause accidents
before the learning is all over.
Vaughn
"new" ? any idea how long this sucker has been teething?
First flight was 19 March 1989
20 years ago !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Keep making excuses for the turkey
Vince
I guess this means the C-130 a turkey as well. 'course, it's only
been flying since 1956. "Inspections of C-130 Hercules cargo aircraft
... are turning up cracks in the nuts and bolts used to attach the
wings to the planes' fuselages. The order to inspect the fleet came
late Thursday after cracks were found in some upper wing joint barrel
nuts. As a result, the U.S. Air Force has ordered that every C-130
in the nation's 600-plane fleet be checked, which includes the
older..."
the suggestion was that this was a "This is the type of stuff that
happens with any new aircraft"

The C 130 is a quality control issue with a part

"Concerns surfaced March 5 about a particular brand of upper wing
joint barrel nuts used in C-130s to attach the wings to the fuselage.
The barrel nuts supplied by one manufacturer were deemed "suspect"
after routine inspections discovered a potential for stress fractures
in the metal. As a result, the Pentagon mandated a fleetwide
inspection of each plane's 26 barrel nuts and replacement of all nuts
with the faulty design before the planes could fly again."

The V-22 Loose bolts are either a maintenance screw up or a design

problem

Vince- Hide quoted text -

Most likely the former. They're still finding occasional issues with
C-130s, P-3s, F/A-18s, etc. If you've got an existing helo that can
match the range, performance, and other requirements that the V-22
meets, name it. Otherwise, get on board or get out of the way.

Nonsense. I can tailor any specification to match the device I want
to buy anyway

The V 22 cannot match the lifting performance of any helicopter in its
Horsepower range.

normal requirements met by helicopters, including auto rotation were
deleted so this turkey could fly.

Twice as much cost for half as much cargo as a helicopter of the same
horsepower.

Vince