Old March 28th 09, 09:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
Peter Skelton

Default Loose Bolts Ground V-22 Ospreys; Four Aircraft in Iraq Will Need Loose Bolts Ground V-22 Ospreys; Four Aircraft in Iraq Will Need

On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 10:26:33 -0400, Peter Skelton
wrote:

On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 12:38:06 GMT, Vincent Brannigan
wrote:

http://www.defensetech.org/archives/004298.html

In other words a 1/3 power loss in one engine put this turkey on the
ground.

Power goes with the square root of torque in most applications.
The engine was running at 4/9 power, (which I find pretty
impressive given what had happened to it).

In this case, the system drgraded gracefully. If the plane was
light, it should have been able to continue for some time on one
engine, if heavy, not. This is typical of VTOL twin-engines.

I'd need to know whether the aircraft was in horizontal or
vertical mode and how heavy it was before getting upset.

Anyone else notice my senior math moment above?

Peter Skelton