Old September 7th 20, 01:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Aldo Cernezzi

Default COBRA Anti-Sway Coupler

I've been towing an Arcus M in Cobra trailer for years, using a compact Ford C-max 1.6 TDCI. Speed limit in Italy is 80kph on highways. Occasionally (as in France where it's legal, let's say), I drove at 125 kph or higher with no problems at all. One must be experienced and use the steering wheel with extreme care. Overtaking semitrailer trucks (they actually drive not any faster than 85 kph GS) requires careful planning and... some cool blood.

please not that European towing bars (except maybe in UK) are very expensive at about 1800 USD with installation, they come to the market only after certification, are installed by few authorised stations, and require a technical inspection by the national authorities before you can hitch anything to it. I've never seen a tow ball coming off a vehicle, not even after 30 years in service.

AFAIK, chains are prohibited in Italy and Europe, as any other accessories which may cause injuries to pedestrians.

ciao,
Aldo Cernezzi
www.voloavela.it