Old October 13th 09, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Berry[_2_]

Default Flut-R Bug

In article
,
zodiac601hd wrote:

I would be interested to learn more about the flying qualities and
value of the Flut-R Bug. I have an opportunity to purchase one, but I
can find very little inforamtion about it. Thank you!

I have a Flut-r-bug, but it is a bit different than standard. Previous
owner flew it off a 400 foot strip on the side of a mountain and landed
on gravel bars in rivers. He built it as a taildragger, with
significantly reinforced landing gear and 6:00x6 wheels. Mine has
Supercub empennage with the balanced rudder.Tailwheel is non-steering.
Engine is a C-85 with high compression pistons. I currently have it
disassembled for re-cover and some minor repairs and upgrades.

I got my tailwheel training in J3 cubs, mostly. My bug flies a lot like
a J-3 Cub, an honest little tailwheel airplane. Just a little more
touchy on the ground than a J3, but not much. My previous propeller was
a 72 inch long, 42 inch pitch wood prop. With that prop, cruise was
about 70 mph. Flat out was a bit over 90. The tail would come up with
the brakes set and a little forward stick. The previous owner would taxi
around at a fast walking speed in tight little figure 8's with the tail
up. Normal climb was at 65 mph and was fairly nose high. High enough
that it required weaving around a bit to look ahead. I have tried
climbing at 55 a few times. At 55, the nose is so high that, unless the
fuel tank is full, I lose 200 rpm due to low fuel pressure. The carb is
nearly even with the bottom of the fuel thank. Ever seen a Rans S7 do a
max performance climb? My bug is almost as good as that (if I only had
flaps). Power off stall seems to be around 40 mph with just me on board.
I am gonna install vortex generators to try to improve that. I've done a
few landings where I went to idle abeam the numbers and never touched
the throttle until after touchdown. Sink rate can get uncomfortably high
if you aren't carrying a little speed for the flare. Good thing my bird
has strong gear! I haven't had to land it truly dead stick yet (and
would rather not, even though 90% of my flying is in gliders). However,
the glide ratio at idle is better than I thought. Again, probably about
equivalent to a cub.

The bug is a cramped little bird. About the same cockpit width as a
RV-4, but the panel is very close to one's face. Back seat is about the
same. My canopy is not standard and is really too low. I'll be putting a
bubble canopy on it when I get it covered.

I paid around $10k for mine when I bought it a few years ago. It was
flying and didn't really need anything when I bought it, except cosmetic
stuff. I probably paid too much, but heck, it was a flying airplane. I
later bought a partially completed bug for spare parts for $800. It had
completed wings, ailerons, fuselage nearly ready for cover, empennage
ready for covering, fuel tank, panel, etc. I sold off the fuselage and
some other parts. Kept the wings since they were in new cover and had
never even flown.