Old April 30th 15, 05:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill T

Default Towpilots ignoring turn signals

Tow pilots need to pay more attention to the glider behind them. If the glider is far enough to one side that you can't hold heading, then relax the rudder and let him guide you. He'll center up when the tow gets to the desired heading.

We train tow pilots, and we train steering turns to our students.
Steering turns are not used much, radio first, but if the radio is busy.

We have a lot of student training. If the student can't stay centered on tow he does not solo. Our experienced tow pilots will speak up if a rated pilot or student is unstable on tow.

I and many tow pilots are not one to just "feed the glider the rope" unless there is a possible upset of the tow plane.

A tow pilot that does not get 3 flights in 24 months as PIC in a glider in tow is required to make 3 tows or simulated tows with another qualified tow pilot. (61.69 (6))
All pilots, tow pilots and glider pilots should review and practice steering turns during their Flight Review.

BillT