Old June 28th 16, 07:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

Default Water in the cockpit!

On Monday, June 27, 2016 at 11:39:31 PM UTC-6, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
The manual for my Ventus C states that there are 5 holes in the fin which holds up to 5 liters of water. You tape up one less hole than the liters you want. for example, if you want 3 liters, you tape up the bottom two holes.

Now the problem. My Ventus C has 6 holes. More capacity? different version or fill scheme? If any one knows, please help.

This just in; cockpit doubles as bathtub. I flew with water today, and at the end of the flight there was an inch or two of water in the forward foot well where the battery goes. This is surprising as water is not plumbed into the fuselage. There is simply an auto connected dump valve at the wing root. I assume there is a lot more water under the seat pan at the moment. Thoughts?

Thanks

Matt H

Hi Matt,

Some older SH gliders have a problem with the ballast dump mechanism rusting and leaking water from the wing root into the fuselage. I completely renovated/replaced the system in my Mini Nimbus. I know of one local Ventus that also had the system repaired. The fix with my Mini required cutting into the top of the wing and replacing ALL of the steel pieces. The brass pieces can be reused. If this is your problem, you can see the repair in photos at the Mini Nimbus Yahoo Group.

Mike