Old August 27th 04, 01:34 AM
Mark James Boyd

Tony Verhulst wrote:
Slightly off topic but the following is pretty good reading, IMHO.

http://home.comcast.net/~verhulst/GB...r_landings.htm

It really points out one of the largest differences between
power and glider flight: the increased need for no altimeter
approaches.

The Airplane Flying Handbook (AFH) suggests rectangular field engine failure
landouts just for this reason (to
eliminate the problem, just fly further on base).

I must say, however, that I vaguely recall that other countries don't
fly rectangles, but a V and then a 45 deg turn onto final.
Is this true? It seems like a better way to avoid looking
back over the shoulder for the touchdown spot...

--

Mark Boyd