Old July 20th 09, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

Default V Performance loss versus yaw string deflection

On Jul 13, 10:21*pm, "bumper" wrote:
"Eric Greenwell" wrote in message

I don't recall ever seeing an estimate of the performance loss in a glider
as a function of yaw string deflection. Does anyone know what it is?

Ultimately, I'm wondering how much attention should be paid to deflections
of, say, 1/8", 1/4", 1/2", etc., on the usual 4"-5" long yaw string.

I suppose a professionally manufactured and tested yaw string, like the Mk
IV, comes with a performance correction card (much like compass has), but
I just have a blemished one I got an outlet store - no card.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

Eric,

I take this yaw string business seriously, though admittedly making MKIV's
is a whole different thing than being able to fly with them straight. No
card is provided with the MKIV, as we have no control over which side of the
equator the MKIV is to be used. And, as I'm sure you are aware, coriolis
effect can wreck havoc upon yaw strings if they are not properly degaussed.

Without glider specific flight testing, we may still assume that in straight
flight and with the yaw string straight back, we have unity or 100%.
With the yaw string 90 degrees off to the side or anything forward of that,
we have a problem, or for our purposes, 0%.

By extrapolation . . . Ummm, what was the original question?

bumper
proudly churning out MKIV and QV's for the unwashed masses.

I degaussed the MKIII, then starched it and used a 'Zero Stat' gun to
eliminate residue charges. The starch keeps it nice and straight,
drastically improving the performance of my old Speed Astir. I'm
considering ordering several dozen to place in various locations of
the airframe for further performance gains.