Old May 21st 04, 01:03 PM
Howard Berkowitz

In article , fudog50
wrote:

You're right, I'll give it a rest,,,there is nothing
classified,,,
like I said sensitive maybe,,just a normal reaction to this stuff due
to years on the pointy end during the cold war,,,try to post that
stuff in the 80's,,,
While it may be that you feel you are free to post any kind of
sensitive **** on here because of an ego thing, and it is totally
unclassified,,,just remember, our friends used to be our enemies, and
just as fast as it changed,,, it could change again.
Like I said,,,just another piece of the puzzle. Go ahead and
keep showing the world how CONOPS are performed in a military ATC
environment and the pattern of the COMMS, very smart.
"Military" is the key word here, and if you still feel it's ok
to post to the world our military Comms during a time of war, then
keep going, then we will see who's side you are on.
You seem to forget that "usenet" is the entire world, not just
some people here in the states you are trying to impress.

You may or may not be aware of what an intelligence analyst will
actually do with such open source data. Having been in that role, were I
assigned to characterize US military operating procedures, and found
these posts, I'd start by asking some of the following questions:

1. Is Guy Alcala actually what he claims to be, or is this a US
disinformation operation posting slightly-altered-from-reality
data intended to confuse OSINT (Open Source Intelligence)?

2. If he is who he purports to be, does his monitoring cover a
statistically significant part of the operational period?
By relying on his data, might I come up with an accurate
picture of US communications procedures for the times when
he is at home and not sleeping? Or, might I wind up making
assumptions for late night operations -- which the US _loves_ --
based on his obervation during more sensible hours?

3. How valuable is accurate data? If I just want to familiarize
my people with what US communications sound like, it may be
adequate. If, however, there's a critical need -- we plan
to disrupt operational communications in a future operation --
is OSINT the correct way to go?

This is the "collection guidance" problem -- what is the best
means to gather the data for a requirement laid upon me?
If OSINT from one source (Guy) isn't enough, are there enough
bobbyists posting from other locations that I can build an
adequate mosaic from OSINT? Should I dedicate COMINT resources?

How much human skill is needed to do the intercepts? Could
I get away with a one-time infiltration of a programmable
radio receiver, which creates audio files and transmits them
steganographically to my processing center? Do I need to
infiltrate an innocent-appearing person to, say, be a retiree
in Florida [1] that has a hobby of radio listening, and then
again securely sends me his findings?

[1] Obviously a very poor cover identity for Florida...NOT. Much easier
to have someone in this role, perhaps posing as a retired Canadian
rug store salesman that is now a snowbird, rather than a tough-
looking robed and daggered fedayeen

The bottom line is that even if I were a hostile intelligence analyst, I
might rationally decide not to use his data, or use it for background
only. There are other ways to get the information, perhaps with greater
risk and expense, but also more accuracy or statistical significance.

One subtle point is that TOO MUCH open source information may be as
great a handicap, to foreign analysts, than too little. If they have to
spend a great deal of time evaluating the reliability and coverage of
the OSINT, it just may be simpler to do COMINT.