Old April 4th 19, 02:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Gibbons[_2_]

Default Buying LS3a or ASW20a? ~$25k cross country glider. Which one and why?

On Tue, 2 Apr 2019 20:57:24 -0700 (PDT), "Matt Herron (Sr)"
wrote:

.... text deleted

Hi Michael: I've owned an LS-4, a Ventus C, and my current LS-6. For me there would be no choice.
The LS gliders are a joy to fly. They have no bad habits; they hold tight circles easily; and on long
flights they are much less fatiguing. On my third Ventus flight in turbulence I went into a high speed
stall without any warning, found myself looking directly at the ground and thought I was going to die.
It took me three years to fully trust the glider. The Ventus C and especially the B require constant
attention to the flight controls. They do not fly themselves. Flying the Ventus will eventually make
you a very good pilot, but you may not entirely enjoy the experience.

text deleted
Matt

Just a quick note in defense of the Ventus. After 20 years and approx
1800 hours flying a Ventus C in both flatland and mountain conditions
(mostly in 17.6m configuation), I have never experienced any
uncommanded flight motion. That said, the ship will not fly "hands
off" for very long. Note, I have not flown a Ventus B, so cannot
comment on differences between the B and C, other than that the C is
much easier to tape the wing-fuselage intersection (it has a fillet on
the fuselage).

Bob