Old April 17th 07, 08:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default DG-300/303 owners...

On Apr 16, 3:48 pm, "Dan G" wrote:
On Apr 16, 9:26 pm, "
wrote:

Such a major flaw in a wing spar should be replaced at the
manufacturers expense IMHO.

This would bankrupt DG, which benefits no-one.

If Boeing shipped a plane that was discovered to have a flaw in it
because their sub contractor failed to adhere to manufacturing specs
or QA procedures, Boeing would fix the problem then deal with the
sub. After all Boeing owns the paper for the sales contract.

So what is different here?

It is inexcusable for these wings to still be allowed to fly at lower
placarded limits as DG has no knowledge of the condition of the entire
fleet.

Well, they (and EASA) believe they've tested-to-destruction the worst
case, and under the new placard speeds (which are hardly low; the
DG300 always had a high VNE and rough air max) there's still the big
safety margin demanded by the regulations.

No DG would like to think they have found the worst case.
They dont know.

It will only take one crusty in his DG flying the old placard speeds,
making it clap hands and they are in a whole heap of trouble.

DG should sue Elan for screwing up and DG owners should get a free set
of wings to replace the bad ones they bought in good faith.
Its not like you can glue a new spar in the place where its bad!!

The manufacturing screw-up happened too long ago for DG to sue Elan/
AMS (I get the impression they would if they could).

No the DG site says this applies to DG303-Acros too which are recent
production.

This is a nightmare for DG300/303 owners, I almost became an owner
last summer as I was looking at a DG303 acro.

As an aside I posted some DG300 wing cross section shots from the one
that went in at Minden 10 years ago.
you can see the build quality really clearly here.
http://www.gliderforum.com/photos/ph...asp?albumid=55

Regards

Al