Old April 4th 20, 04:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

Default ForeFlight collision avoidance system

On 4/3/20 11:40 AM, SoaringXCellence wrote:
Martin,

The Foreflight display function is immediate as long as there is a valid input from an ADS-B input source. In our gliders the most common ADS_B input is coming from the FLARM, which does not interface with the Foreflight software, nor the iDevice wireless inputs (Bluetooth and WiFi).

So, unless you have a newer TPX with ADS-B in and wireless communication (Of which there are many now on the market), the Foreflight display TAWS function will not work.

In addition, while the Trig 21, or 22 is a great ADS-B out device, there is not, to my knowledge, any ADS-B in from that device. So again you'll need some other source to the Foreflight to get the TAWS display.

The original question was about transponder equipped targets. If the
target has only a transponder, then the best Foreflight could do is a
PCAS type of display (ring of fire), which has never been terribly
useful. I doubt if a Stratus 3 type of ads-b receiver even transmits
that info to a display.

-Dave