Old December 5th 05, 01:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default PA28 Battery replacement

Hey all. I'm pretty certain I've convinced myself that my "bad starter"
and/or bad ring gear are actually my battery going bad. With the skytec starter, it
makes sense that at high-load, the voltage could drop enough so the starter solenoid
cannot hold the gear engaged to the flywheel. It pops back out while cranking on a
compression stroke.

So, what are the thoughts on the different batteries? I'm pretty sure mine is
the old Gill G35. It's been in there for at least 3.5 years. Any good replacement
ones that might save weight, etc? FWIW it's a 180hp O-360 so it is high compression.

Thanks
-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *