Old March 19th 04, 05:54 AM
Bela P. Havasreti

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 20:52:10 -0500, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"
wrote:

zxcv wrote:
I was watching "Empire of the Sun" the other night and near the end some
P-51's attack the Japanese base. What struck me was that the P-51's were
flying in just a few feet above the ground and dropping their bombs. Would
this really have been done? How did the planes keep from blowing themselves
up?

Fly real fast? I'm not sure about the bombing, but I do know the P-51s in that
movie were actually radio controlled models. Looked pretty good, too.

There were no doubt, models used but there were also real (full-size)
Mustangs used in the footage. I seem to recall reading in one of
the aviation trade rags about some of the "low level" flying done in
the movie, and how the pilots thoroughly enjoyed it.

Bela P. Havasreti